print Version

Lower Town and Haifa Bay

The Lower Town area covers 1.92 sq. km. which constitutes 3% of Haifa's area with11,300 residents, most from a relatively low socio-economic level.
The Lower Town area contains many historical sites including the old city which was surrounded by a wall and built by Dahar El Omar in the 18th century. This is the area where the government offices are located in a compound called Qiryat Hamemshala  (Rabin Government Center) as well as the German Colony built by the Templers in the late 19th century. This area started thriving during the British Mandate. Part of it is built on land which was dried up while building the Haifa Port in the 1930's. Being close to the port, the Lower Town area served as Haifa's main business area from the 1940's until the end of the 1970's, when many businesses turned to the new and modern commercial centers where parking was available. The area is currently feeling a positive surge from the new government office complex, the court houses and the projected Port Campus (to include colleges and student housing projects), together with the renewal and upgraded transport plans.

The Lower Town-East houses less than 3,000 people, mainly Arabs and new immigrants. More than 20% of residents are olim from the FSU (Former Soviet Union). The municipality encourages new and renewal projects in this area.
Public facilities include:
* Sha'arei Torah elementary school (Independent - Charedi)
* Yodfat and Hagiborim youth clubs
* The Religious Council  (Mo'atsa Datit) offices including the Chief Rabbi's offices, kashrut and marriage departments
* The fruit and vegetable wholesale market (Shuk Talpiot)

The Lower Town-Central area, where the old city was previously situated, is now home to the Rabin Government Center (Qiryat Hamemshala), which houses most government ministries' offices, Bituach Leumi (social security), the courts and more. This area also contains: 
* The bottom station of the Carmelit - Haifa's underground funicular train
* Railway stations - Haifa Merkaz (Central) and the projected Beit Hameches station
* Police headquarters
* Schools and Christian houses of worship

The Lower Town-West area houses 8,420 people, mainly Arabs. The main areas in this part of town are the German Colony and Wadi Nisnas. The German Colony, established by the Templers in the 1870's, influenced the development of Haifa to the east (Yaffo and Allenby Boulevards) and south to Wadi Nisnas. After the Templers left in the 1940's, the area became dormant until the 90's when it underwent major changes. On the sea side of Ben-Gurion Boulevard the City Mall was opened and on the mountain side of the boulevard the Ba'hai Gardens project, recently recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site, was completed. The gardens are beautifully coordinated with the boulevard so that they form a straight vista all the way up to the top of the mountain including the Ba'hai golden-domed shrine. This has created a unique tourist attraction and has totally transformed the German Colony. Many restaurants and cafes were opened along Ben-Gurion Boulevard and today it is considered a hub for leisure and night-life.
The following public facilities can be found in this area:
* Beit Hagefen Jewish-Arab Cultural Center including municipal library
* The History of Haifa Museum
* The Haifa Art Museum
* City archive
* Elementary, junior high and high schools and other facilities for Christian and Muslim residents
* Moria-Barkay Religious elementary school
* Hod special education elementary school
* WIZO college for design
* Regional school for teachers' education
* Rubin Music Conservatory
* Achva Community Center
* Senior citizen day centers
* The Center for the Blind

The Bay Area covers 20.51 sq. km. which constitutes 31.8% of Haifa's area. This area is mainly commercial - including factories, workshops, wholesale and retail outlets and bus, train, sea and air terminals. The oil refineries, petrochemical industries and waste processing plant are situated in the eastern part of the bay in an area annexed to Haifa in the year 2005. This area, which is the northern and eastern gate to Haifa, has undergone change in the last few years and has been transformed from an industrial into a commercial zone. The municipality has been investing heavily to modernize the infrastructures and make the area more attractive. The bay area, which is divided into three zones, houses, among others, the following facilities:
The Chalutzei Hata'asia Zone:
* Oil refineries and petrochemical industries
* Oil storage tanks
* Chutzot Hamifratz, Tzomet (junction) Qiryat Ata and Itstadion (stadium) shopping areas
* Misrad Harishui – the Ministry of Transportation licensing division 
The Lev Hamifratz Zone:
* Haifa Chemicals, Hazera and other major factories and Chof Shemen industrial zone
* Lev Hamifratz (Cinemall) and Check Post commercial and shopping centers
* Northern transportation depot (Merkazit Hamifratz) for buses, trains and future cable car to the Technion and University.
* Electrical power plant
* Regional fire brigade station
* Israel railways workshops
* The Railway Museum
* The Oil Industry Museum
 The Haifa Port (Nemal Haifa) – Nemal Hakishon zone:
* The Haifa Port
* The Kishon Port
* Haifa's airport
* The Marina
* The fishermen's port
* The Israel shipyards
* The air force's technological college
* The Kishon Park
* TAMI – Israeli food industries
* The Israel Society for the Protection of Animals (Zaar Baalei Hayyim)